Friday 2 June 2017

Two birds

In Rigveda there is a verse about two birds, one that is watching/ observing and another that is enjoying sweet fruits of a tree. Apparently the one that is enjoying the fruits, is our body and the one who watches over and never leaves the other, is our soul. And it may be, the first time in our spiritual pluralism that the thought of physical presence and indestructible inner principle appears. But my bird ladies are not about that. These are two ladies in close conversation. May be one is the older version of the younger lady who definitely seems to have something to share with her younger self.

While travelling in Karnataka I came across this craftsman who was making stone sculptures in his roadside workshop in a village. I gave him sketches. I already had these two figures in my mind. The craftsman didn't know my mother tongue and I didn't know his. But he was willing to work with it and he did have a big radiating smile. We worked with sketches going to and fro while I returned home 700 km away. We communicated on phone in our Desi English and some broken Hindi that he spoke. And he did better than I had expected.

These are the stones that are locally found. I have not given any name to my sculpture yet, but suggestions are welcome. Does it tell any story to you?





Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year

Hello, How was your last year? What do you think looking back?  I learnt to be grateful last year, for all those things that we take fo...